Thaba Chweu Local Municipality (MP321)
PO Box 61, Mashishing, 1120Physical:
Cnr Central & Viljoen Streets, MashishingTel:
013 235 7300Fax:
013 235 1108Web: www.thabachweu.gov.za
Description: Thaba Chweu Local Municipality came into being after the December 5th 2000 local government elections. It is located in the north-western region of Mpumalanga province. The escarpment divides the district into eastern and western halves. The western half (Lydenburg district) is dominated by agricultural and farming activities, while forestry is the main economic activity of the eastern half (Sabie/Graskop district). Thaba Chweu is one of the major tourist attraction areas in South Africa. Mashishing (Lydenburg) is the oldest town in the province, and a hub of heritage where the famous Lydenburg Heads, which are said to date back to 400AD, were found in the 1950s. Also found here are old stone houses. Most of all, this is the home of trout fishing. Graskop is home to the Three Rondavels, The Blyde Canyon, Potholes, God’s Window, The Pinnacle, Berlin, Lisbon, and Graskop Falls, all of which are World Heritage Sites, and form the Panorama Route. In the Sabie area, when travelling east of Mashishing through the Long Tom Pass, there are hectares of pine plantations. These mountains are part of the Drakensberg Mountain Range.Cities/Towns:
Graskop, Lydenburg, Mashishing (Lydenburg), Pilgrim's Rest, SabieMain Economic Sectors:
Mining, forestry, agriculture, business services, tourism
33 352Population Growth:
1.86% p.a. Unemployment Rate:
Political ManagementComposition of Council:
ANC 19, DA 7, PAC 1Mayor:
Mr M NcongwaneOther Members of Council:
Suzan Magagula (Speaker), Condtry Mashego (Chief Whip), Makhozsazana Masilela (MMC: Finance, Technical and Engineering), Patience Chima (MMC: Community and Corporate Services), I T Mokoena (Planning and Development)
Administrative ManagementMunicipal Manager:
Mr D F MaebelaChief Financial Officer:
Mr S Mabitsela (Acting)Communications Officer:
Puleng Mapheto (Acting)LED Officer:
Ms Cindy Cave
|All values: R'000||2013/14||2012/13||2011/12|
|AUDIT OUTCOME ||n/a||Disclaimer of audit opinion||Disclaimer of audit opinion|
|Property rates||26 703||30 293||34 817|
|Service charges||155 561||138 972||114 598|
|Investment revenue||89||3 273||-|
|Transfers recognised - operational||77 534||116 991||95 161|
|Other own revenue||26 138||13 292||176 969|
|Total Revenue (excluding capital transfers and contributions)||286 025||302 822||421 545|
|Employee costs||104 747||97 476||85 973|
|Remuneration of councillors||7 260||7 176||7 262|
|Depreciation & asset impairment||1 039||44 187||53 606|
|Finance charges||24 345||12 129||1 564|
|Materials and bulk purchases||85 682||109 215||93 307|
|Transfers and grants||5 077||14 759||32 588|
|Other expenditure||126 946||140 508||101 016|
|Total Expenditure||355 096||425 450||375 315|
|Surplus/(Deficit)||(69 071)||(122 628)||46 230|
|Transfers recognised - capital||38 515||-||-|
|Contributions recognised - capital & contributed assets||-||-||-|
|Surplus/(Deficit) after capital transfers & contributions||(30 556)||(122 628)||46 230|
|Share of surplus/(deficit) of associate||-||-||-|
|Surplus/(Deficit) for the year||(30 556)||(122 628)||46 230|
|CAPITAL EXPENDITURE & FUNDS SOURCES|
|Capital expenditure||45 952||-||7 871|
|Transfers recognised - capital||45 046||-||7 871|
|Public contributions & donations||733||-||-|
|Internally generated funds||173||-||-|
|Total sources of capital funds||45 952||-||7 871|
|Total current assets||63 502||86 607||60 671|
|Total non current assets||42 620||999 244||1 120 270|
|Total current liabilities||151 650||248 025||179 844|
|Total non current liabilities||361||8 600||9 252|
|Community wealth/Equity||(45 889)||829 226||991 844|
|Net cash from (used) operating||54 179||(12 581)||195|
|Net cash from (used) investing||(69 009)||1 709||(8 455)|
|Net cash from (used) financing||-||(10 778)||(507)|
|Cash/cash equivalents at the year end||(14 595)||(23 561)||(1 912)|
|UNAUTHORISED, IRREGULAR, FRUITLESS & WASTEFUL EXPENDITURE|
|Unauthorised expenditure||n/a||42 492||5 716|
|Irregular expenditure||n/a||120 310||44 408|
|Fruitless & wasteful expenditure||n/a||17 784||3 671|
|SOURCE||S71 Unaudited||S71 Audited||S71 Audited|
- S71 Unaudited figures are sourced from the MFMA S71 4th Quarter Schedule C reports, made available by the National Treasury. The schedules are available at http://mfma.treasury.gov.za/Media_Releases/s71/Pages/default.aspx.
- S71 Audited figures are prior year audited figures sourced from the MFMA S71 Schedule C reports.
- If the relevant S71 Schedule C figures are unavailable, prior year audited figures may be taken from the relevant Audited Financial Statements. The source is then indicated as AFS. Links are provided under the Resources section on this site.
- S71 Schedule C reports are in the format for monthly and quarterly municipal financial statements as prescribed by the Municipal Budget and Reporting Regulations. S71 Schedule C figures are standardised to the prescribed format and may differ from figures shown in the Audited Financial Statements. Where we have captured figures directly from the Audited Financial Statements, we have endeavoured to follow the S71 Schedule C format.
- Unauthorised, Irregular, Fruitless and Wasteful Expenditure is sourced from the Consolidated general report on the audit outcomes of local government, published annually by the Auditor-General South Africa. If the figures are unavailable in this report, they may be sourced from the Annual Financial Statements of the relevant municipality.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest R'000. R0 values are reflected as ‘-’. Values that are unavailable are reflected as ‘n/a’.
Tenders are published on the municipal website.
LED ActivitiesKey Investment Opportunities:
Gustav Museum in Mashishing (Lydenburg); Graskop Lodge; arts and crafts stalls; Graskop National Monument in Pilgrim's Rest.
Links/ResourcesMunicipal TendersMunicipal VacanciesAnnual ReportsAnnual Report 2011/12Audited Financial StatementsAFS 2011/12AFS 2010/11MFMA Section 71 – Schedule CSchedule C 2013/14Schedule C 2012/13Schedule C 2011/12
The information in this directory is supplied and/or externally sourced
and is also subject to continual change. If you notice any errors or omissions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
so that we can correct it.